Artful Meditation is a practice I developed and teach which explores guided visualizations, the expressive arts (drawing, painting, collaging, sculpting, writing, etc), and contemplative practice (various sitting meditations).
- Find a peaceful and quiet space to practice Artful Meditation, one that is free of distractions and disturbances.
- Create a minimum of forty-five minutes, but ideally a one hour time slot, to complete each Artful Meditation session which includes visualization, expressive arts exercise and meditation.
- For the visualizations. Be sure you are in a comfortable position, so that you are able to relax and feel supported. Also, It may be helpful to record yourself reading the visualization, and to play the recording as you do the visualization.
- For the expressive arts exercise follow the exercise, but always feel free to express yourself in the way you feel most inspired to do so. For example, if one exercise asks you to draw, and you would prefer to free-write.
- For the meditation portion follow the guidelines, but be sure you are in a comfortable position, so that you are able to relax and feel supported throughout the meditation. For example, if a meditation is presented as a seated meditation, know that you can always sit on the floor, in a chair, or you can lay on the floor.
Lastly, enjoy this journey of inner exploration and transformation.
Artful Meditation Supply List:
- A yoga mat
- Two blankets
- An eye pillow
- A meditation cushion, seat or a comfortable chair(Try to make sure your hips are above your knees for optimal comfort and ease on the body)
- An medium to large sketchbook
- An assortment of thicker white paper in various sizes
- A lined notebook
- A variety of pencils and pens
- A box of crayons
- A box of markers
- A set of colored pencils
- A basic watercolor set
- An assortment of brushes
- A sculpting material such as model magic, play dough or clay
- An assortment of magazines
- White or clear glue in a tube or a glue stick
Artful Meditation Practices for Home & Groups